Wednesday 18 April 2012

NO I AM NOT DEAD


I, Red Handed, am pleased to bring to your notice the fact that at the completion of 10 days commencing tomorrow, my college life would come to its much awaited death. This marks the end of the 5 years of rotting in a University which took me in with the intention of transforming me into a budding lawyer. I will not be using the words ‘graduating from the University’ since considering the gas I am filling my semester exam answer sheets with, a supplementary seems not unusual. But then again, my mother prays to the good Lord twice a day, so graduating within the stipulated time can still be hoped for. 

The question is whether my father is ready to accept the turbulent change that his daughter has succumbed to. His daughter did become the confident woman he wanted her to be, but along with that she also changed into a cunning person with the ability to fake concern for those she wants erased from the face of earth. Her innocence has been brutally stomped on in the course of 5 years resulting in her judging the world under a microscope. My mother is too preoccupied with celebrating the fact that her whale like daughter is now 10 kgs down and hope is there regarding her getting a number of proposals once she is registered in the Kerala Matrimony. 

But it burns me to inform you that at the end of the 10 days starting tomorrow, my status would be ‘unemployed fresh law graduate’. Yes people do pass out of National Law Universities without a J.O.B. The term ‘honours’ fixed to the end of BA.LL.B seems as useless as the degree itself. Red Handed doesn’t want to wear the black robe and frequent the courts, though becoming a divorce lawyer seems to be a lucrative profession.  She also did not sit for the University placements for she doesn’t consider herself a corporate bug ready to work constrained to the shackles of time. Father was proud of her for he has divine plans which includes her becoming a district judge or an IRS officer and whooshing down the city roads in a ‘gadi with the lal batti’ as my mother defines it. Doomsday is visible to me. Even I am not ready to accept the fact that at this point, I am pretty much lost. Mr Father has allowed me a vacation of one month once I reach back home, which he says I should use fruitfully to determine ‘What’s next?’ 

MY OPTIONS ONCE I GRADUATE

1)      Job Hunting- I shall bury myself between the pages of ‘Employment News’  and would adhere to the plan set out by my wise and diligent father i.e write all the Government exams possible including the much feared district judge exam. I once asked him “Why do you think, I am capable enough to become a judge?” To this he replied instantly “My child, Lord Hanuman did not know of his abilities and his destiny. He had to be reminded”. I think by saying that, he either called me a monkey or a woman with potential she is unaware of.

2)      Further studies- Like a nerd who she truly isn’t though sometimes wishes she was, she will donate two more years of her life to study L.L.M which will actually grant her two more years to live on her Dad’s money. But 5 yrs of law has successfully numbed my grey cells and I do not think my nerves can take any more of it. 

3)      Marry- I am jealous of the girls, whose parents are devoting much of their time finding a rich groom for their daughters. All you need to do is step out of college and suddenly you are a ripe fruit in the market which has to be bought and eaten by probable customers before it rots. In my case, my parents won’t get me hitched unless I have a well paid job. This decision of theirs which till now was considered by me to be a blessing is suddenly a hindrance between me and a rich man whose life I can successfully ruin. But then again, I am no housewife material and the institution of marriage disgusts me.

      Since all of the above options are not satisfactory and fulfilling, I have decided to join a gym once I get back home, shed the kilos preventing the ex-whale from becoming a mermaid and wait till God gives up and finally tells me what I am meant to do. Considering my life till now, I am sure God would be easy on me. My mother prays!
   
      P.S- The above post describes the reason why I was off the picture for exactly one month. Final Semester keeps you busy not only with the big books, but the extra partying and the farewell extravaganza. Sorry for being MIA and not visiting your blogs. Exempt me for some more days.


 



37 comments:

  1. RED!!! WELCUM BACK!!!! :D

    Wow, great to know tht u graduatin.. must be all nosti n stuff na? :) Oh yes, the 'what next?' question.. all the best, Red :)

    Gym again? Wow, u'd give even Rocky a complex babes.. :)

    10 more days, eh??? Wow, wish I cud relive mine too... :)

    Happy to see u back, Red :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. are tension not puttar, aal iz well. good to see you back on bloggin circuit.everyone goes through the phase after colg but guess females have a little tough with all the Marriage BS. still, this too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha..I passed out 3 yrs ago, and I'm still in confusion..so it is a phase, a pretty loooong one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so now i understand y yu were away from yur blog the last month..hilarious post btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahhaha I am reliving my thoughts (past 14 yrs ) at ur cost ! cheers gal.. it s all gonna be easy for u:)
    enjoyed this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....I love the way you write!!!!!!!

    Good luck with everything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on your graduation.. Missed reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 yrs since grad and in my cases, all those confusion are slowly coming to an end. though very stressful and ambigous, these 3 yrs gave me the best memories I'll always treasure. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red!!!!!! you lost 10 kgs :O :O :O !! And here I m the only whale left in blogworld or what??? :'(
    Good luck girl with your exams.. Rock it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending your way all the good wishes you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back... missed you...
    Congrats on ending 5 torturous years (just comparing to my 3 in a similar place and going on)... yes, these are things we all learn with time in college..
    my such month is about to start very very soon... would be off-line for a month plus myself.

    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! What an amusing post!;) haha.. Good gracious! U can't even say 'good riddance'!! This just makes me wonder why can't u pursue something u really like and are interested in? But I also feel that after spending 5 long yrs in law, if u can make a 'big' shift? A friend of mine has completed her law, after four years of it, she shared with me she wanted to be a stylist! Now look at that! Anyway!! Here' a hoping you the very besht!

    Our parents and their dreams!;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good one! Can't stop laughing! Typical Red-Handed post :)

    Whatever it is, that you are meant to do, you'll find it sooner or later.Till then, enjoy :)

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on completing ur college. Thats an achievement in itself! And that too in law!! WOW!!! I dont have words...

    "I think by saying that, he either called me a monkey..." cracked me up...lolzz... :)

    Welcome back!!! Unknowingly i visited ur blog many times in the last one month...Good to see you back...write more...

    ReplyDelete
  15. so how did the exams go .. and All the best in whatever you decide, I a msure you are wise enough to decide whats best for you.. Joining the gym is a good thing, it will relax you and then you will be able ot think better :)

    Have fun and enjoyyyyyy All the best

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  16. all the best for your job and before that enjoy ur vacations . Btw how does it feel after ending or student life??? Coz our seniors are too leaving the college they are having mixed feelings. Do u feel too big ??? Coz now u will earn and spend it. ???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Red ! :)

    Have fun these days Red :) And all the very best.

    I don't know how to say this but I never thought of myself as being anything other than a student and was quite horrified to pass out of school last year as well :(
    Sigh !
    A big pat on your back for not giving the corporate placements undue attention :P Not that I have anything against them but the probability of you a significant difference is very appealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. forgot to give you best wishes if you are going for job hunting !

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol...

    JOB hunting is fun... even I used to call myself as berozgaar!!!

    but then once u get into job life is hell
    njoy ur time to fullest :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. use ur talent buddy (remember hanumana :P) ..u should prepare for upsc(no..that was not an attempt to put a chilly in ur mouth)...make it large...listen to d people, job is a real hell, they r telling this after their own experience...hope u be wise..kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sure, you will figure something out for yourself. till then, happy soul searching!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back Red! And the options you mentioned are more or less the same options everyone goes through (except for the marriage thing for guys :D ) No issues. Ask those who are in the mid 30's to early 40's about their life plans (when they graduated from college) and how things changed afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And FINALLY you posted :D ..
    Vanakkam :/ .. umm Welcome :D .. hahaha...

    And relax, you still have time to fig things out for yourself babe.. So leave the stress under the mattress...go be a temptress :P .. ahem I mean go do what you enjoy.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was one phase of my life I hated ! Parents searching groom, myself searching for job, quarrels, tantrums...oh my God...anyway good luck with yours !:D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too am waiting for God to descend and tell me in person, why was I sent here in the first place? Was it a practical joke? :P


    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is but another option for you, join an NGO and fight for the underprivileged. How's that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. very many congratulations to u on graduating. So red is now a lawyer or was it 'li-aarrr'? :P
    and for lesser mortals like me who still got 2yrs to reach where u r, u definitely seem to be a lucky soul. so enjoy ur time :)


    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  28. I passed out 2 years ago after a decade of studying mbbs and md degrees and I can confidently say that I am now doing... uh... umm... ok, I have no idea what Im doing with my life :) Dont worry.. que sera sera

    ReplyDelete
  29. http://bigbitz.blogspot.in/2012/05/red.html
    Please do visit this link.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm also in the same phase as you...exactly 10 days to end the college from now, and still hunting and thinking for JOB and higher studies... :)
    was a nice read...Good luck for the future... :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hoi, your ten days are up... get your ass back here and give me company in being jobless.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hehehee...jealous of the girls with the rich husbands awaiting them?! I cant stop laughing!!

    Good luck figuring things out. Lets hope the gym works out!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  33. so after all this what are you doing now? are u seriously busy with workouts?

    ReplyDelete
  34. so after all this what are you doing now? are u seriously busy with workouts?

    ReplyDelete
  35. A choice between marriage, a job or further studies and you chose the gym. Heehee. Perfect logic. Seriously though, all the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete

Spit It Out I Say !!!