Monday 27 May 2013

How To Tell People They Suck.....



The world is filled with people having an ambition to be something that they are genuinely not capable of.  Every third person is a photographer, every fifth person is a DJ and one out of five people turn out to be a self proclaimed singer or a poet. One thing common about all of them is that they are all victims of a chain of lies. 
  
One does not choose to be a world class wannabe. He/she is moulded into one. I am expected to visit this South Indian Mallu God temple every once in a while, which I do without a second thought because they serve the most amazing Prasadam my critic of a tongue has ever tasted. But off late a problem has emerged and my visits have been next to Nil. The problem is in the shape of a middle aged woman cursed with the voice of an overly enthusiastic frog. Even Autotune will be vain in its attempt to make her voice bearable.  Every Saturday without fail, the woman croaks sings her own compositions, praising the Lord sitting in the sanctum sanatorium and one must appreciate her audacity to do so by using a Microphone. Call it pity or the absence of guts, no one including the beggars sleeping outside the temple has ever told her about how her singing can make a person question his own existence. Even her husband doesn’t stop her from being subjected to the secret & silent mockery of the people. Every Saturday the Lord decides to call it quits and the visiting pilgrims return back home as zombies.

Why cannot people be honest? Sometimes a criticism should not be taken with a pinch of salt because they are facts and however brutal it is you have to accept how you suck at something that you truly are passionate about. Now I love dancing and after a few embarrassing efforts in the club and a few real friends who made me face the fact that while dancing I look worse than an Orangutan gyrating, I had to silently accept that like most of the Mallu Men, even I a woman cannot dance. Not that I dint take dance lessons after that. Still, I suck and I am fine with that.

But then again the world is full of mean bastards who get sadistic pleasure in seeing someone being mocked by half the world for showcasing an art they suck at but have not been told about it yet. A friend from my college has a DSLR camera which was gifted to him from a now dead relative of his. He loves it and he clicks everything including an artistic pattern coincidentally left by a pigeon dropping right outside the college canteen. Everyone knows he is terrible at it and at one point I told him in person that I detest his photographs. But how can one opinion stand against the strong word of his close friends. Real friends are those who tell you that you suck and help you get through it like cheesecake rather than helping you set up a fan page on Facebook and laugh at you with the rest of the crowd. His pictures range from clicks of broken headphones to close-ups of a cat licking its privates. No exaggeration here.

So next time you see someone pursuing an art they truly suck at, let them know about it. They might never talk to you again, but I guess you could live with that. Who knows, they might even thank you later.  And when I say that you tell them they suck at it, I don’t mean “OH FUCK! YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS WOULD MAKE EVEN MONA LISA FROWN. YOU SUCK!!”. Let them know that you appreciate how passionate they are about something but maybe they should work towards learning and improving in their area of interest before publicizing it.  But there are some brats who constantly flash their talent and go “OMG!! Isn’t this the best thing EVAR??!!” Tell them flatly just why it’s NOT and how to make it better and if they keep pouting, tell them that they have a long way to go before this ‘BEST THING EVAR’ applies to whatever art they are trying in vain to master. 
  
After all, the world and a few temples could do better without a few wannabes!! Amen to that!

P.S- Stupid gym instructor wanted to make me supermodel slim in a day. As a result, the doctor has adviced me a month bed rest because of an over stretched and super strained ankle ligament. Damn!!!

39 comments:

  1. Yeah you are right. Loyal and sincere people will say that on your face rather than laugh from behind.

    Oh my ! Now you are on bed rest you have a lot of time to update your page! More posts awaited! And dont try too hard with weight and all. People love vidya balan and not sonam kapoor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I stop! No more over time at the gym!! Thankuuuu for reading

      Delete
  2. :D

    I agree. Though it becomes rather difficult when the person is not a complete stranger. And as you rightly said, telling such people the truth is more about saving them further embarassment rather than being rude to them.

    And there are times when some people try to impose their expertise in your field of work even if they can't even spell the title of your job. :P As you may have noticed in my recent post. But one of my friends told me to spell it out to such people in clear words rather to bear their nonsense. :-)

    I hope your ankle is recovering quickly. If it would help to make you feel better, I'm still recovering from a sprained neck and stiff back caused by reversing my car inside our house. At least a sprained ankle from a gym-workout appears to be less freaky. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U killed herrrr!!! hahahah it was awesome reading abt it.

      Delete
  3. An honest post and a true one at that! People (including me) tend not to take criticism well due to various reasons but not telling the truth straight to face but mocking behind the back is just cruel. It is better to give the bitter truth straight.

    Get well soon!

    Until later,
    Keirthana :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the post I needed after the eye for an eye post! Thanks RED. You rock.

    Now go here and accept this award for your awesome creativity.

    http://soumya-hintofme.blogspot.in/2013/05/its-hay-during-may-again.html

    P.S: I'm still swooning over your beauty. Phew! Mr.Red is going to be one lucky man.

    P.P.S: Please take care of that ankle well. Get well soon maamu :D

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Telling them they suck wouldnt be a great idea. Giving them feedback is more like it. Constructive criticism is the word.

    Cheers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did mention that the exact'you suck' shudnt be used.

      Delete
  6. i am hurt!
    *shattering of the glasses*
    thank u baby! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL-"while dancing I look worse than an Orangutan gyrating", now I'm imagining it in my head. I'm sure you dance better than that! I'm a horrible singer too and though sometimes my husband complains I sing to irritate and torture him. You never know, such skills come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahahaha torturing is sweeet! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

      Delete
  8. You speak the truth,people are wicket by nature and want to find ways to entertain themselves with, and what they love the most,are best entertained by and laugh the hardest at is to mock and laugh behind people's back at how they STINK at the ART they would like to excel at but have NO GIFTING in,yet are so DELUSIONAL that they actually put it on PUBLIC DISPLAY ON the INTERNET FOR MOST OF THE WHOLE GLOBE TO SEE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. please please please tell me, can i write?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're funny! You're right, it's better to let people know they suck. Only, if that person isn't relatively close enough to you to trust your judgement, he/she will hate you for telling them that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess I am that third person and one among the five.

    So one day, I put my headphones on, full volume and started singing the lyrics as the song along with the music went by. And I recorded my "singing skills" in my phone. After I was done and feeling great about aligning with the song perfectly with all that vocal things and all, I replayed my recorded thing. It was not later that I realized why I was still alive after hearing that ridiculous singing thing . Believe me, it would want to kill yourself.

    So wait! The thing with photographers withs DSLRs! Is it how it works? Because I am like Wow, that looks nice, Let me just click it . Well, I would want an unbiased opinion from you if that's okay?
    My Photography .

    Oh and the gym thing. I thought you were already supermodel slim. No? Ok, if not that atleast near to it. Anyways, Take Care. Don't stretch too much beyond you possibly can.
    P.S. This looks like a lengthy comment. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looove long comments! Thankyou for this!!! and atkeast u found out about your singing. I still wonder if this woman is deaf. and No m not supermodel slim :( I never was. But now m not fat :D

      Delete
  12. Wait, you want me to tell people who are bad at doing certain things that they suck at doing it.? Then how will I be entertained.? Nope, I'm not doing it. :P

    But seriously, the one thing that irritates me the most is, every other guy owning a DSLR and trying to be a photographer. Crap.

    Well the instructor seems to be taking special interest in you. ;-)
    Anyways, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE EVIL :PPPPP
      Actually some people cud be a great source of entertainment :D

      Delete
  13. I'm kind of an ass. I would sit back, watch them flail, and not say anything. I don't know enough people that I'm close enough to that I care about how they appear to other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhahaah...well I dont think that makes u an ass...atleast not a big one :P

      Delete
  14. Just send her to Simon Cowell. Once he tells her she sings like a crow in heat, she might take to kick boxing :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice one red! More irritating is people like that talking all day about how "awesome" it was. Oh wait, i just put annoying in different words. A colleague of mine thinks he is a sports analyst and talks about last night's game all day. He never won a dime predicting results because i wanted to prove him he is just an air head. He stopped talking to me but his new buddy sits next to me so i'm back listening to his nonsense.

    Why do funny girls like you need to be slim and supermodel like? Baffles me! funny girl = -200 pounds, so there..(I'm thinking how big of a wife i'll end up with)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your comment and smiled...and then I reached ur 200 pounds statement and I frowned. :P
      I am not 200 pounds. I am 140 :D

      Delete
    2. LOL...i wasn't referring you Red! It was about me on how much i adore funny people. So basically you are -60 pounds for me. kate upton can't beat that

      Delete
  16. Hahaha! Why don't you break the frog's neck? And facebook is now teeming with too many such Photography pages that help me gloat my photographic skills look iconic :P Fun post, Red :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I do want to break her neck :P
      Thankyou soo much for dropping by :)

      Delete
  17. I love this post. I want ppl to be honest with me. I suck at everything I do honestly. Dancing? Like a puppet on a broken strings or a fish flopping on the ground caz she needs water.

    Singing? I sound like a troop of monkeys so banish the thought.

    So now I try to write... Epic fail.

    Honesty is the best policy eh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kudos to your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha..

    Oh well, I am reminded of the quote 'The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.'

    I am a born critic and can't help seeing faults and at times, when I think the person needs to know the truth, I give it to them, straight-faced, without sugar coating my words. Definitely there are cold feelings after that but I feel like I have saved the world. :P

    Being a photography enthusiast, a self-critic at that, I try my best not to overdose the world that is already flooded with people who think they are photographers by just owning a DSLR and appending 'photography' to their name. There is a huge difference between Art and normal looking high resolution pictures.
    Just like there is a huge difference between meaningful poetry and writing random lines that rhyme without conveying the actual meaning.

    I actually go on and on and flood this page.I stop right before that ! :D

    Good post, and humorous, as usual ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your posts are amazing! And I am not sucking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh the DSLR owners can get on your nerves. I mean look at the number of useless pages full of lousy pictures trying to contemplate the reality and look deep.

    I wish honesty was more rewarding than being a social outcast.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Then there are some, who is waiting for that single word of appreciation from some random guy to unleash the hidden talent on the world. I, for one, would like to introduce the singer in me.. but probably since that would turn disastrous (for me), and since not a single soul has said anything closely resembling a praise about my singing prowess, I guess it's the whole world saying "you suck" to me! :D

    ReplyDelete

Spit It Out I Say !!!