Tuesday 13 March 2012

Mommy or Daddy the greatest??



Since childhood I have wriggled out of complex situations. Complex situations where a kid doesn’t like to get caught in especially in front of his/her parents, because how much ever mature they seem to be, parents are an insecure bunch. As I grew up, there have been numerous instances where my parents would force nerve jittering questions down my ears.

My Amma would alarm me in the most relaxed manner and would shoot the most venomous question ever. She would ask me “Mole, you like Papa more or Amma? Be honest to me Mole”. Now since I know that the answer decides what she would cook for dinner and whether she will polish my school shoes for tomorrow, I would innocently look into her eyes and say “Amma, you and Papa are like my eyes. I can’t like one eye more than the other.” This answer always awarded me with an extra scoop of dessert serving after dinner. I always stick to this answer, but for the sake of not appearing to be a trained parrot, I would change the body parts from ‘eyes’ to ‘limbs’ or ‘ears’.

Today my father asked me the same question and I like a Ninja answered him and made his chest rise from 40 to 44. But today as I lay on my bed for an afternoon nap, I couldn’t stop myself from actually questioning myself regarding my allegiance. Did this Mole, love her Amma more or her Papa? Who was my inclination towards? I had to find an answer once and for all.

CALL IN DISTRESS- As a child I was my Daddy’s pet, still am. I was treated like a boy and I disclosed the torments of my childish mind openly to him. As a kid, I never liked Amma giving me a bath because she never told me stories of her childhood adventures while foaming me up. She had a boring childhood anyway. My Papa was the man I wanted to become when I grew up, though I turned out to be a woman. But as I grew up, I stopped opening up to Dad and he never probed me into revealing my problems too, for he knew that it was not his field of expertise. Mom was the one I approached and she became my therapist, though she was a bad one. She became my call in times of distress.

Dad-0 Mom-1

FREEDOM- Now I am boasting when I say this but I really do have the ultimate man as my Papa. During my tenth boards he caught me reading Cosmopolitan. I was busy staring at the picture of topless and hairless Hrithik Roshan in the magazine by keeping it inside my Chemistry book. He didn’t scold me at all, but forced me to keep my Chemistry book down and read the magazine for 2 hours straight. That was my punishment, though I never understood how. My mother on the other side was a pain in the bum during my teenage years. She would run and enter my room faster than a coyote just to inspect what exactly I was doing online. She never trusted me and I can’t blame her for I knew that the curious me couldn’t be trusted. My mother always brings the whole concept of being a woman into everything and anything I do or did, while my Papa like a gentleman that he is shuts my mother off and listens to the apple of his eye i.e his Mole.

Dad- 1 Mom-1

SPOILING ME- Amma, Papa and my Acchamma (Dadi) all have a fair hand in this.  My Amma used to go around scolding my nursery teachers for not treating me well because they complained to her regarding my biting problem. Now I have to confess, I used to bite my teachers as a kid if I they ever scolded me or tried to make me answer the questions I didn’t want to. But my mother conveniently blamed them and never pointed a finger at me. My Father would buy me balloons and Samosas at 12 midnight because I cried out loud for it. For this he had to walk half a kilometre into the neighbouring slum and safe himself from probable thieves. You don’t want to know about my craze of bursting balloons and then crying till I got another one. If I was my Papa, I would have disowned me. He once made six omelettes for me before making the perfect one, because I do not like even a fragment of the existence of whiteness in my omelette. He made 4 omelettes, slapped me, said sorry and made another 2.

Dad-2 Mom-1

MONEY BANK- My parents provide me with money without any interrogation whenever I want. Me giving them false reasons for the money is a totally different aspect and I know for sure that my parents are not dumb enough to actually believe every word of what I utter. But they know for the fact that their Mole spends most of the money in her cute little purse, hogging at every restaurant standing in the town. She can lie for food and they know it. My Papa never opens the message I send him, for her knows that the message contains just two words ‘PUT MONEY’. The guilty me never calls for money and when I do, I always report to my mother directly who takes care of the situation. So I believe both share an equal stand in this aspect.

Dad-2 Mom-2

CRY ME A RIVER- The only way to deal with the situation is to ask myself this- ‘ If I ever do anything wrong, something which makes me feel guilty, something I am truly not supposed to do, whose face comes in my mind? Who is it that I don’t want to see hurt or disappointed? Whose judgement on my character matters more?’.  Now when I review my life till date, I notice that I have always tried hiding unwelcoming facts about myself from my parents. If I tell my mother, she will pass it on to my father which I don’t want. My Papa has provided me with everything I have asked for and didn’t ask for or dreamt about and this comes in my mind whenever I fall into a messy situation. I can tolerate my mother’s indifference, but never the disappointment in my father’s eyes. I have never seen him cry, not even when he lost his father and I never want to be a reason behind his eyes brimming over with tears. I don’t know from where this special soft corner towards Daddy came from, but I have to agree that it has always been there and how much ever my mother tries to win the position by feeding me Gulab Jamuns, she can’t win. We don’t need to tell her that, do we?

Dad-3 Mom-2

So, it turns out that I am my Daddy’s little grown up girl and always will be. Amma might hate this revelation but she wouldn’t mind losing to him for she knows he is worth it. And if my younger brother happens to read this, I just want him to know that no matter what I do, wherever I go, I was their first baby and they love me more. I know they might use the arm/limb/eyes story which dealing with your queries, but you know who stands tall and first. THE SILLY OLD MOLE, ME!

P.S- Sorry about the extra long blog post! This just had to be done!

55 comments:

  1. hahahaha i swear,I couldn't stop laughing...biting prob..wth..you were awesome yaar...Your kids will have superb stories to hear about their mom ;) I've been dad's gal too from beginning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More confounding proof that the Daughter - father relationship is 'a hoot and a half'.

    Great that you got around to writing it, makes you realize the infinite value of loved ones in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your analysis on this. The scoring system wins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha...That was a nice score card and probably i was myself happy to see your father win hands down. Me too a papa's girl;) It is definitely fun answering such tricky questions. I always answered Grandma to this million dollar question of " Dear, do you like papa or Mamma better?":P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Red. As a child your confusion is very valid. And yes, whenever maa is in cool, calm mood she shoots questions having destructive powers similar to a cruise missile carrying nuclear warhead :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a but expected because usually girls are more close to dads and boys towards moms. I am neither but my dad is a role model for me and mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post and an honest revelation.

    Stay Blessed ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post Red. :)

    I am my mom's little monster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh..I am daddy's girl too...I fare pretty well with my mother's rage but disappointment in my dad's eyes - no way..
    Absolutely loved the post..

    And that message for your bro,hilarious..You actually remind me of the noodles ad where the sister taunts the bro,"Pyar to karna hi padega,kachade ki dubbe se jo udake laya tha..."

    Muah girl..

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok this is a very sweet post..its like reading the childhood of Red Handed..and yes a very lovely one indeed..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm.. now you've got me thinking too! I think am closer to my mom when it comes to sharing everyday things, mostly because she's a stay-at-home mom. But when it comes to something important and major.. I run straight to my dad! And yeah I simply cannot bear it if my dad is disappointed with me... I go into a mad frenzy trying to make things right.

    ♥ www.thegirlatfirstavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad is the cool headed one and he can bring in some sense into me during crisis time, my mom on the other hand gets panicky. I am more of my brother's lil girl than mom's or dad's . The younger one who is 4 years younger to me does a collective job of what my parents are supposed to do: He advices me in my messed up-no escape situations and lends a ear when I am down and beaten...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol! I cant stop laughing thinking about a kid biting teachers who grew up to stare at Hrithik Roshan :P Fun read...And oh your poor bro!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well well...I guess everybody has to face this question in their childhood..It might me from ur parents or some other distant relatives, but u certainly have to face it.Although I have never taken the pain to actually analyze, but this post has certainly provoked me..:P..Excellent analysis I must say..;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am mamma's gal.. She has been my besssttt frienddddd since time immemorial... :))))We are always partial isn't it???

    But your last para unsettled me.. This means they also have partiality :(((((( me or ma brother?? :-/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This wasn't extra long.. I loved the analysis and comparisons you drew :) .. I was doing it for myself too... And seems like I'm a daddy's girl too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean. I can tolerate my mom's waterworks and drama, but the slightest hint of disappointment from my father's end, and Booom!! That was my fuse blowing. :/ I was always Acha's pet and still am.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daddy's girl? hi-five :D

    How do you come up with such interesting posts Red??

    Superbly written!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol...after laughing through the post I reached a disturbing standstill thinking about the day my son would say the same- that he loves his father best. Oh my God..I really would be so jealous and sad and not be gracefully happy losing out to him on that ! Oh no ! By the way I am Papa's pet too ! :D Also I really thought by the end of this post your parents will score equal points and it will be a tie...but u proved me wrong...as always you are unpredictable !

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mommy PART2 (I mean Mom-in-law) asks me this question even TODAY!
    She knows I am close to Dad but still. And about diplomatic answers, we rule :D Even I used this 'like my two eyes' statement 'n' no. of times :D
    Daddy's girl, anytime....anyday! Afterall, Papa ki pari hu main :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. mast likhi hai.they say that a girl's first impression of a man is her father and she keeps comparing her husband/husband-to-be/boyfrend with him. your dad seems to be a VERY VERY touch competition ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love my Mum more and respect my dad as a human being more. So they have their peace with that.
    I mean I spend most of my time talking to mom and doing things with her whereas when the two have a fight, I support my dad's decisions more.
    And this is how it has always been! :D

    Loved the post. Got me thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, its always hard to choose but we always have a fav...for me its my mum. Its strange how things change as we grow up, as a kid I was daddy's little daughter but now the closeness I have with mum is is just incomprehensible. I share everything with my mom and we r like each other's bes friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. lolz for "...for the sake of not appearing to be a trained parrot, I would change the body parts from ‘eyes’ to ‘limbs’ or ‘ears’..."
    I have 2elder sisters and my first sis feels so proud for being the first kid...and its so lovely to see her feel so...seriously...!
    Daughters are always special. I wish to have one too(oops i think i became too personal now)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your post made me reevaluate my love for my parents. I am more of baba's girl than maa's. But if there is somebody who is the dearest to me,it has to be my li'l sis. I love her more than my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a brave revelation... :D

    It always is a tough question...no one has asked this question to me...But I know the answer already. :-)

    We bear the influence of both the parents in our upbringing and we inherit the both the good things and a few bad habits.. :P

    Your tidbits from your life are very interesting..you were a spoilt kid... :P

    But most kids are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Red !

    This is such an awesome post. Now, that's one question that we all dread. I faced this from my relatives and not ma and pa. But well, I'd still probably agree to the "eyes reasoning". :)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. didnt feel at all that it was a lengthy post.. words just carried me along, and the vivid images .. loved the way you wrote a serious matter in such a truthful and light note..
    Btw, do u bite still ;))
    And what a punch you gave your bro at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wah!!
    :P

    What you know I think my parents keep changing.
    I can't do the Dad 1 and Mum 2 waala thing even now :P

    But yehsss with crushes and handsome guys dad's always the best person to go to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey i believe that "DAD" is our first hero and your analysis too leads there..

    I wonder how do u get such thoughts n put in a nice post.. Love it as always..

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a pretty good post. Really like your writing.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Haha remind me to never use the term "bite me" in front of you =P
    Nice little report card you've got for your parents in here =P
    It's a really cute post :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mamma's mole, me :) Through and through for almost the same reasons you cited for both the parents :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can't think of publicly telling all this. My mother will emotionally blackmail me and father will cry like a baby. Lucky you and I would love to same to my younger brother....

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think eventually it will even out Red!! Eventually, the answer would remain "Pa and Ma are like my eyes. I can’t like one eye more than the other." :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. It took you long to realize who you love more. :P
    I've known it long. and somehow, I feel guilty for loving the other one less. It's like loving one eye more than the other. :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. You've been awarded - http://jojofeelings.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/3-reasons-to-celebrate/

    ReplyDelete
  38. When I compare on the above mentioned basis,my parents fare the same.But mom scores over dad as she is my distress call.

    ReplyDelete
  39. daddy's girl!! :D :D

    Good one! :)

    You were one naughty kid, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I cant tell you how much I loved this post. HOW MUCH. My dad- I mean- I donno- I can't see disppointment in his eyes ever. He's like that ultimate trump card my family uses to make me agree into doing things. But yeah. A tuff cpompetition. Between mom and dad. My mom would win hands down as a child's parent and dad as a grown ups parent.




    Right now- Even I'm Daddys Girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
  41. You have beautiful parents and I hope and wish its always like this and that you dont do anything to hurt them :)

    I sound like a grand dad here :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  42. RED!!!!
    me love this blog sooooooo much!!!! :D :D
    hehehhehehhe.... in this wrld full of mommy's pet gals, finding some1 like myself who is more devoted to daddy's rather thn mom's is soooo rare! :D :D
    I love this post more thn anything!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Nice post..and an honest one :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. You know.. few years back when graphology was my well pursued hobby.. I had read how the capital revels the inclination towards a parent. :P Send me a sample writing if you need to investigate this further. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is sucha heart to heart! :) Loved this post, absolutely.


    -Nil.
    www.meetnil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. :-D well i can't sy i have even felt comfortable with anyone at home to ever open up. But then again.... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  47. I loved the way you did this post!
    Each of my parents assumes 'm on their side except when they fight.
    Then they go all, "You're just like your mother!" or "You're just like your father" So that I say,"Nono Amma/Appa, I wanna be just like you!"

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a lovely post ! And what a great way to put it ( the scores and all , good call ) ..I guess with time the scores will even out ...or may be not ...just a thought . Enjoyed reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. AWWWW!! I think I was daddy's girl but no longer am!! Sigh!

    I like this post! unbashedly you! and thats superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Such an amazing post..and even I agree with the "Cry me a river" point..I dont know why, but I cannot even bear the thought of disappointing my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Kind of true this. I've always been forced to compare between Mom and Dad, not by themselves but rather, by the near and -dear- ones. Never really bothered though!

    - R.R

    ReplyDelete
  52. Aaah, sweet, sweet one, dearie.. :)

    wonder whats my score: hmmm... dad gives me the money, mom manages to convince dad to giv me more.. aaah, score: Dad = Mom.. :D

    Really sweet n nice one, Red.. ur parents will be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. lovely post. you are genius.i will use the trick of 2 eyes,2ears here after. whenever i introduce my friends to my parents, papa will be angry if i tell about mom first to friends and vice-verse. As i know, most of the board going students like Cosmopolitan!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I RELATE TO THIS POST. Are we Soul sisters or what? :-* I am daddy's little spoilt brat too, and oh, what fun. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Spit It Out I Say !!!