Sunday 27 March 2011

CHUDDY BUDDY




It was my 29th day to school. That’s what my grandma told me and that’s what I remember it to be. Amma was running around the kitchen packing my Tiffin-box as granny forced me to drink the much hated Horlicks and me pinching my nose shut while drinking it. Dressed up in my green pinafore uniform with a white handkerchief pinned on my chest and the letter V carefully embroidered on the end by my Grandma. Frowning as my mother managed to tie my hair which usually ended up looking like a hibiscus flower sprouting from the middle of my head. Two green eyes trying in vain to make Amma know that school isn’t where she wants to go today. I was forced to wear my school bag with the bottle around my neck and I hated everyone at that moment. Papa gave his bear hug and I tried to wriggle out of it.

Auto- uncle came with his ever smiling face. He took my bag and said “Aaj tumhe kisi se milaunga. Tumhari nayi dost.

As I walked towards the auto I saw a girl my age, with a pinafore longer than mine sitting with her head bent down and shaking her legs. Nervous was what I became then. Many things were running through my head. “What should I talk?” “Why is her uniform longer than mine?” “Her hair is better than mine” “She has a Scooby Doo bag” “Does she too like power-puff girls?” and so on the thoughts went.

As the auto started, the alien girl managed to look at me. I saw big black almond shaped eyes staring at me. The Kajal was running down her cheek because of the tears. Auto uncle said “BABA, aaj uska pehla class hai. Beta, Baba ko apna naam batao”. So the Auto-uncle had cracked the ice. The girl looked at me and with her voice cracking through the tears she told me “ASHIMA”. Then the silence continued.

The auto came to a stop outside our school and the driver gave us our bags. Since I was 29 days more experienced than her I quickly put on my bag and started to walk. Something made me look back and I saw the Almond eyed girl struggling with her bag. Something made me go back and help her. Something made me hold her hand and make her walk with me. Something made me tell her “KG 1 mera class hai, tum mere sath baitho”. Something made me share my pencil when her pencil broke. Something made her smile. Something made me feel like coming to school every day.

Its been 17 yrs of friendship now and she will always be my First Bestfriend. She is States away from me, but even when you do not get the time to message or do not call for months, the friendship never fades. When you finally get the time to talk, it feels like you have been in touch everyday. I have been lucky to find some gems on my way and she is one among them.

I plan to remain her friend till we are as old as these two ladies and if there is any beyond, then that too :P

  

Photo courtesy- http://www.mathcats.com/explore/numberstories.html
                         

33 comments:

  1. hey...tats really cool post... n nice picture too...

    even i hav a frnd since KG... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first reader :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. school buddies are always special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...makes me think of myself..but here i was ashima(kajal minus) :P

    She is also my friend from 12 years..hope to be like the ladies in the pic for sure :D

    Who made that crayon wali drawing? it's tooooooooooo adorable...

    And your writing is superbly lively as always i read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Harish- i second tht! :D
    @Alcina- Heh.. u might be a gem for sumone else else... :). Crayon wali drawing was made by a 5 yr old kid i guess. Picture courtesy has been given below the post. Hey thnx for reading Alcina :D.. m jealous of ur blog template btw. its beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWWWW!!! CHOOO CHWEEETTTT!!!!:D

    Very cute post, Red :)

    Kinda nostalgic 2...I ws wonderin whr my best friend is today (wunder whr he is) :)

    Gud post Red.

    Me latest: http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=52967

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ R-A-J- My fav commenter :D (is the spelling commentor..bleh)
    She is just my first gem but the most prized possession too

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Red-handed..whats the jealousy factor about it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. lucky friends:) I envy you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Alcina- The girl with the cat and many other things :P....i am too lazy to beautify my blog.

    @Cloud nine- thnkuuuu "D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had me reminiscing my childhood =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ psychopneuma- Happy to hear tht :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Red Handed: Sorry for commenting late.. But a nice post.. I have a chaddi dost too..:D :D

    - Raghu
    http://arewetrulyhumans.blogspot.com
    http://reflections-shatteredmirror.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. :))
    Nice post dear :))

    Frds since childhood... or neighbourhood frds.... u make mefelt nostalgic again :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Raghu- heh forget the late commenting, you commented atleast. M blessed :P.

    @Chakoli- Childhood frnds were made were both the parties where innocent and thts why its the best type you can even have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really.There are such people in every one's childhood with whom we want to be with even after the natural time of togetherness.
    Thanks for your interest in my blog. You comments were encouraging. And I find a really nice blog here, too. I think I must follow you, other wise that would be a loss. :)
    Take care.
    Nice to find a new friend.
    Anu.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heh...thnx for the follow up. U have a great blog there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Amazing post! Loved it. Sorry, didn't think the picture went with it but the post itself is great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww...such a sweet post! You're lucky to have such a special relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Sunil Goswami- Heh thnkx!! yes even i felt the pic wasnt appropriate. Just found it cute :P
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ash89- Thnks for reading girl.Honored!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your drawing reminds me that I should go searching for me...

    Thanks for following my blog. Appreciate your thoughts and feedback!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have no idea how sincerely I relate to this post of yours... My best friend is still my best friend and will remain so... although we are now states apart.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Enchanta- Made me happy knowing tht :)Thnkx for reading!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. @red

    Reading ur comments makes me wanna comment.... u make commentors feel special ... This post was really good and made me nostalgic

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Partha- Thankyou sire!! Its a good feeling to be read ..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Reminds of my chuddy buddy, who's also states away..nostalgia creeping in..and ofcourse, goes without saying, beautiful piece..:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aaye! Cute post Red. Cute. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Nirvaan- Hey thanks :D
    @Prateek- She is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The bond is so priceless. It brought a tear in my eye

    Sadly, I lost my friends as I grew up. If friendship can really transcend lifetimes, I sincerely hope you two remain friends for an eternity :)

    Stay Blessed ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  31. late to read your post..but loved it..
    'something made me hold her hand and make her walk with me'
    this line got me super emotional..:) m a typical cancerian you see..

    I have embarked on this mission to read every post of yours..so you will fine random comments here and there ..!
    Cheers..:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Some of my best friends are animals. I mean the real thing. Our pets are very important to me. Our pet store for cats, is out of love for our friend Sox who passed 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Spit It Out I Say !!!